Thursday, June 01, 2006

Unwanted adventures at the dentist

So, I went to the dentist last week. I hadn't been in a long, long time. I am embarrassed to even admit how long it has been. It has been at least five years, there I said it. Not sure why I haven't gone, we have dental insurance. Just chicken I guess. Actually I am scared to death of the dentist and that drill of his.

So, I went to the dentist last week. How did it go you may be wondering? It went as bad as I thought it would, worse really. You see, I have this tooth on the bottom that the filling fell out of years ago and food gets caught in it constantly. I thought for sure it would need a crown, my worst case scenario. Sure enough, it needs a crown AND root canal. And I need four other crowns on various teeth and several teeth need to have filling replaced. With insurance, my out of pocket cost will be a little over $3,000.00.

So here I am kicking myself for not getting myself to the dentist 4 years and six months ago when my teeth were still in decent shape.

I had the root canal done yesterday. It really wasn't too bad, it just took over an hour. The left side of my face was numb for over six hours. The whole left side was numb, the novicane even worked itself up to my eye which turned blood red and was half way shut most of the day. If I were an optimist I would say it was half open, I suppose.

The truly humiliating part came when I had to walk down the long hall with a square green mouth tarp hanging out of my mouth about two inches for x-rays. Three times.

The first of many appointments to come...

1 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

I used to HATE the dentist, and I put off visiting.
Then in a rush of genius, I went to the pediatric dentist that my kids go to...
heaven!
and I ADORE novacaine.
But I'm funny like that.

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home