Sunday, April 09, 2006

Who doesn't like a compliment

I admit it, I love getting compliments, especially on my children. This last week I have received several. On one occasion, we were eating out with the kids, at an actual restaurant, not at a buffet like we usually frequent. You know, the kind where the kids can run wild and there is no waiting for food, you just get your plate and go up to the trough and fill it up. Well, last week we decided to try an honest to goodness sit down and have a server type person take our order and wait like regular people for our food type restaurant. The kids were actually pretty good. Elyse, at two years of age, is usually the most difficult, but she sat nicely and didn't even pitch her spoon across the table.

When we were almost done an older couple, who were on their way out, stopped and told us how good our kids were. I immediately looked behind me thinking they were talking about someone else, but there was a wall behind me so it had to be me they were talking to. I was a little flushed by then and muttered an oh, thank you, we try to keep some kind of control. They went on to say that is was nice to see such a big well behaved family out enjoying them selves. They were very nice and I tried to be gracious and hide my shock. It has been a long time since we have received a compliment at a restaurant. I think before Christopher was born, hmmm.

There have been a couple of others recently, but another sticks out. Today one of Scotts friends dad came to our door. Oh no I thought, and my heart started to sink. What has he done? I opened the door and invited the man in and I offered him a cold drink. You know, trying to soften him up a bit. But he refused saying he was just passing by but he wanted to stop for a minute. He went on to say how much his family enjoys having Scott over, he said that Scott is always nice and polite and that he gets along well with his son. Wow, what a nice thing to say. I puffed up with pride. It feels good to hear such things.

I have decided to be more free with my compliments. I think nice things but they don't always make it out of my mouth. It is amazing how when someone says something nice to me, about me or about my kids how it makes my day. I really want to do that for other people too. So, from now on I am going to make an extra effort to compliment someone when I am out. Earlier today when I was at the check out at Costco, I was admiring the hair of the young girl that was checking my stuff out. I spoke up and told her how cute her hair looked. She smiled, I mean her whole face lit up type of smile, and she thanked me and she told me she had just had it cut and that she wasn't sure if she liked it or not. I think I made her day, at least a small part of it, and you know what? It made me feel good too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Slacker Mom said...

Great idea.

Goo dthing to do, I will have to start doing that too.

:)

Pay it forward kind of thing.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Irene said...

oh thank you for this post. I will remember this today too :)

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home