Monday, April 24, 2006

The television is off


Bean Bag Potato
Today marks the start of Turn Off Your TV Week. I thought we would try it out this year, at least a modified version.
We really don't watch a lot of TV, but I know we watch too much. Lets face it, it is just easier to turn the electronic babysitter on while I do the housework, pay the bills, do the laundry and prepare the meals. It keep the kids entertained and I get my work done a lot faster. But the truth is it is good life lessons for the kids to watch me do those things and participate. Except with the bill paying maybe, that always puts me in a crabby mood.
I usually turn the TV on for the little kids around 10:00. They watch an hour or so then it goes off. By then it is lunch time, game time and story time. Then the TV goes back on so I can eat my lunch and clean up. It stays on until it is time to get the big kids from school. After homework and snack the kids can turn the TV back on and watch *educational* shows until dinner time, or go out and play. Most days they will go out to play with thier friends. But usually the TV is on as background noise. Why I need background noise is beyond me. At dinner time the TV goes off. After dinner is bath/shower and reading time. At 8:00 the TV can go back on for the *cleaner* shows. We watch TV then as a family. Game shows or Survivor usually. After the kids go to bed is when I really watch TV, the shows I want to watch.
Lately, I have had a lot to do so the TV has been going on earlier and earlier in the morning and staying on later than it should. I have noticed the kids have become couch pototoes (or bean bag potatoes like the pic above implies) and I don't like it. I hate it.
This week I have decided to really limit TV and computer time. I can't eliminate it completely, I could, but I just can't. The little kids can watch TV after lunch. I really need that time for down time to eat alone and think. Usually it is about an hour. It will go off when we go get the big kids and stay off until 8:00 when we watch Deal or No Deal tonight. We do watch it as a family, something we do together and get active with. We have to watch Survivor too, it is something the kids and I really enjoy doing together.
It will be interesting to see how much I don't get done with my hinderences. Or, how much more I do get done without the TV. Of course, it will cut way down on my computer time too. I am going to limit my computer time to a few minutes in the morning and after the kids go to bed.
I really am not sure how I will get through the afternoon with Dharma and Greg.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Irene said...

sounds interesting, we have survived one week without television two years ago while on vacation. I think I might try it as well. let us know how it goes!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Slacker Mom said...

Good luck.

I do great limiting TV time, but my computer time is off the charts.

Something I need to do one of these days.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home