Monday, April 17, 2006

Sweet smell of spring

I was behind schedule this morning, but what else is new. I was rushing to the store and bank, I was rushing the kids who had no idea what a schedule is. Hurry up Christopher, I was barking as I we were walking out to the car at a quickened pace. I started to fumble around my purse to find my ringing cell phone, I shifted Elyse from one hip to the other and dropped my keys. My hands were too full, as usual and my frustration level was rising quickly. I finally found my phone but it had quit ringing. It was the doctors office. Crap, I mumbled under my breath, I needed to answer that call. Mommy, is crap a bad word? Christopher was inquiring by then. I tried to explain the bad word away saying it was okay to use it in the right context and when you are an adult. Mommy, what does context mean? Crap, I uttered again, I stepped in it that time. I was trying to figure out how to define *context* to a four year old, while I was trying to juggle Elyse, my purse, my cell phone, grocery list, bank stuff and Jeff's forgotten lunch, I rounded the corner of the garage. That's when everything came to a screeching halt. There was something, something different. It was good, it was wonderful, it was intoxicating. The overwhelming smell of my neighbors orange tree blossoms was wafting over to my driveway. The smell was sweet and suculent. The smell of spring. I stood completely still, the kids got very still and quiet too. We were afraid to talk, to move. Words or even a slight movement would break the spell. I did not want to return to my reality at that time, I wanted to stand there all day and soak up that sweet aroma. I wanted to join that aroma and be able to drift with the wind, to be part of the sweet cool breeze and forget all about forgotten lunches, phone calls, banks and the grocery store. I wanted to drift in the wind with the sweet aroma and be carefree and throw out all the schedules. Then reality hit me right smack in the face with the dang ringing of my cell phone again.

The smell of spring is fabulous. I must take more time to enjoy it and not get wrapped up in my world.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tyra said...

I bet the smell was wonderful, I've never seen an orange tree before.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Slacker Mom said...

I am jealous that you get to have fruit trees.

I have a small orange tree in my home. It just survies the winter, and then in the summer when I put it outside - BAM! It blossoms. It is well worth the wait.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Cee said...

I think I take advantage of the fact that we have so many fruit trees around us. We don't actually have on in our yard but all of our neighbors have fruit tree and share their abundant crops with us.

We always have fresh oranges, lemons, limes, apriots, peaches, apples, cumquates (sp?) and even avocado's. We get a lot of vegetables too.

I should appreciate that more while I can.

And the smell is still intoxicating, mmmm.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home