Thursday, April 27, 2006

Pictures from the Mission field trip

I am crazy busy these days so I don't have much time to post. I thought I would share some pictures from the field trip that I took a couple of weeks ago with Tayler and her fourth grade class. I just love the architecture and history of these old buildings and ruins. I found it amazing, and I was fascinated by what they could accomplish in the 1700 and 1800's.
The picture on the top left is my favorite. I took these pictures about 30 seconds apart. I didn't use the flash for either picture but I zoomed out a bit for the one on the lower right. I was surprised at how much the lighting and contrast changed. For some reason I just like the darker one better, it looks more mysterious to me. I just love photography, it is very rare for me to get a decent picture though.

This is the Golden Tabernacle in the oldest Catholic church that still holds services in California.

This is a picture of the ruins of a new church that was built in the 1800's. It stood for 6 years before an earthquake brought it down. Several people were killed. Very sad. I love old ruins and it was so neat to find some in my own *backyard*.

Another view of the ruins. Look at those columns and dome, just beautiful. I wish I could have spent all day there.

These are the original bells that hung in the ruined church before the earthquake. They are just gorgeous! I can just imagine the local Indians and priests crafting them. Our tour guide told us that they make a horrible sound when rung so they never ring them.

I am not Catholic, nor do I know much about the catholic church, but I thought this was pretty. From what I understand, a candle is lit in honor of someone and a prayer is said for them. A very nice idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home