Thursday, April 20, 2006

Field trip



I went on a field trip with Tayler and her fourth grade class a few days ago. I even *got* to ride on the bus. Can you detect the sarcasm at all in the last sentence? I hate riding the bus. For one thing there is a lot less leg room than there used to be. I am of average height at 5'6", but I could barely fit my legs behind the seat in front of me. I also don't remember the bus being so noisy and bumpy. The kids of course loved every minute of it.

Anyway, onto the subject at hand. We went to the Mission at San Juan Capistrano. You see, fourth grade is the mission grade, at least here in California. We will also have to build a replica of the mission and Tayler will have to write a report about it. I remember doing that myself in the fourth grade. I also remember riding the bus to this very mission in my fourth grade year, but the bus ride was so much more fun then.





I don't remember the mission being quite as interesting when I was in the fourth grade. I remember I enjoyed it, but that's about it. This time around I found it fascinating. Tay's school actually paid for our very own tour guides. The ratio was 16 kids to a tour guide, not too bad. Other schools were walking around with a piece of paper on a self guided tour. I noticed a lot of the other schools trying to listen in on our tour guides lectures. I will admit when an older gentleman walked out and I saw his supervisor point him in our direction I though Uh oh, a grumpy old man. But to my surprise he was actually very nice and very patient with the kids. He was just full of information and really knew what he was talking about. He made sure to answer all the kids questions and praise the kids by name when they got one of his questions right. The kids were exceptionally good too.


I found the stories, the history and the architecture fascinating. There was no way we could see it all and hear everything in the hour and a half we were given. I took in every little morsel I could. And true to her mothers form, Tayler pulled out a pad and pencil and took notes. She was the only kid there to take notes. It made me very proud of her, then it made me wonder if I was raising a nerd.

I have more pictures to share but Blogger is being a PITA about letting me download them. I will get to them at a later time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Slacker Mom said...

sounds like a great time, except for the lovely bus ride. :)

4:15 PM  
Blogger The Imperfect Christian said...

I am going on a field trip with the ManChild next week. But I get to sit in a theater and enjoy a musical! Woo hoo!

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home