Friday, April 21, 2006

Eight!

Jeff is eight years old today! Eight! Eight years old!!! How did this happen? These kids just keep getting older and bigger and more mature and it is killing me! But then again if they didn't get older and more mature I would surely go insane.



Jeff at 6:30 exactly this morning, exactly 8 years old

I became pregnant with Jeff at a bad time in our lives. Dave had lost his job and he was going to school. My mom had had major surgery and I was busy helping her with her recovery while taking care of a three year old and a 13 month old as well as running the house. I felt run down, tired and sick all the time, but no wonder since I had so much going on. I lost all track of time.

Finally it started to dawn on me that maybe I was pregnant. I bought a store brand EPT test at Target one day and sure enough, two lines. I can't say we were thrilled, but there it was. I was actually 12 weeks pregnant when I figured it out, duh. I had an ultrasound at 18 weeks, although they could tell what gender the baby was we wanted to be surprised. All looked well. One week later I started to bleed, and bleed hard. It was believed that I had lost the pregnancy, that my placentia had ruptured. No heart beat could be found. We mourned and suffered. Then an ultrasound showed a strong heart beat and movement. He was hanging on. I was put on bed rest for a couple of weeks so the placentia could heal and be strong again.

Jeff was due on April 15th, 1998. He made himself at home on my sciatica. I couldn't walk, I was in constant pain and misery. April 15th came and went. So did the 16th, 17th, 18th and so on. Finally on the 20th I went into labor. I labored all night. By 5:30 on the 21st I felt a gush, my water had broke and my epidural had worn off. I started begging for another bag of that epi stuff but to no avail. By 6:25 I started hollering that the baby was coming. I was told that was impossible that I was just at 5 cm 10 minutes ago. I yelled for my mom to get down there and catch the baby so it wouldn't land on the floor. Finally, the nurse checked me and sure enough I was at 10 cm and Jeffs head was on it's way out. He was born at 6:30 am exactly. Boy was Dave mad, he felt that they neglected me and mistreated me. But I won't go into what transpired after that. I prefer to focus on the good of the day.

So anyway, Jeff was born at 6:30 am, he was 22.5 inches long and weighed in at a whopping 11 pounds. Holy cow, 11 pounds, he was huge. I had just given birth to 4 month old baby without an epi and came very close to the birth being unassisted.

What a joy he has been for the last eight years. I don't know what we would do without him. He is a good kid and makes us laugh constantly. He is sweet and kind and good to his sibs. We are truly blessed with the gift of Jeff in our lives.


We have a tradition of waking up the birthday person in our house by singing happy birthday to them. Here is Jeff waking up to the other kids and I singing happy birthday to him. Can you just see the joy in his eyes and the his big grin.


Another tradition. A birthday candle in the breakfast food we are having and another round of happy birthday singing. Fridays are cinnamon roll day, Jeffs favorite breakfast.

Jeff before school this morning with his happy birthday sticker firmly in place.

Tonight I will make enchiladas for dinner. His favorite. We would take him out to eat but he does not like to eat out, like his mom. Then cake and presents. Very low key, just close family.

Happy Birthday to my sweet boy Jeff!

2 Comments:

Blogger gnightgirl said...

I love the wake-up pic, and the wake-up singing tradition. fantastic! Happy Birthday!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Irene said...

Happy Birthday!!!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home