Monday, March 20, 2006

Toothless and the tardy tooth fairy

Jeff is losing teeth like crazy lately. He lost his bottom two baby teeth almost two years ago when he was in Kindergarten, then nothing. We waited and checked to see if his other teeth were loose yet. We consulted the dentist who assured us it was okay for him to lose his teeth late, it was actually better. Jeff was getting ansy, all of his classmates and friends were losing teeth everyday and he still had most of his baby teeth. Then finally, another one of his bottom teeth became loose then another. Then finally the top teeth started loosening up. This has all happened in the last month. He lost three more teeth on the top in the front. The latest one falling out one night last week around 8:00, right before bed. Or should I say it was evicted by older brother Scott giving it a strong tug.


He placed that little tiny tooth into a baggy and placed it under his pillow. The tooth fairy specifically asked that all baby teeth be placed into a baggy or else she has a hard time finding those microscopic teeth in the middle of the night in the dark.

The next morning, I was showering before the kids were up and I suddenly remembered the tooth fairy. I didn't remember hearing her in the middle of the night. As a mom I have radar ears that can wake me up if the tiniest cough is coughed somewhere deep in the house. I always hear the tooth fairy. Maybe she is running late I thought, maybe she will show up when I get out of the shower. Of course when I got out of the shower I had a million things to do and I forgot to listen for her. I went into Jeff's room to wake him up and he was sitting up in his bed. Good morning Jeff, I said. The tooth fairy didn't come Jeff answered, with all the sadness and drama he had in him. Oh no, I said. Thinking fast, searching for an excuse for the tooth fairy, I came up with the idea that maybe since he lost his tooth so late in the evening that maybe she had already left for her nightly work and his name had not been put on her list in time. He thought that sounded reasonable but he did mope for a while. See, Jeff is my very dramatic child (You can read a little about his drama here and here ). He can play out scenerios in his head and put his whole self into his *role*.

The next morning I went to wake Jeff first, I was excited to hear if the tooth fairy had come. Indeed she had and she left him a note that read:

Dear Jeff,

I am so sorry that I missed your house last night. I was very busy so I had to get started early and I didn't get your name on my list in time. I came to your house FIRST tonight.

Thank you for such a nice tooth. I will be a wonderful addition for my castle. I have a very special place to put it.

Keep brushing your teeth! Remember to brush your teeth in the moring after breakfast and at night before you go to bed.

Love,

The Tooth Fairy


She also left him $2.00 instead of the usual $1.00. I think the tooth fary was feeling guilty about missing him the night before. I know if I were her I would feel that way.

Ever since he got that letter from the tooth fairy he has been very faithful about brushing his teeth without being reminded. I think there may be more letters from the tooth fairy in the future for the rest of the kids too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

That is the cutest toothless grin ever.

Score for the tooth fairy! Good recovery.

5:41 PM  
Blogger gnightgirl said...

When my son was little, the dollar she left was covered with glitter, and my son's top lip still had residue of glitter stuck to it, from the fairie's lifting his lip to ensure that his tooth was missing.

8:12 PM  
Blogger gnightgirl said...

oh, and I forgot to say, great pic!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Hi! Saw you on Vive Le Vegan and thought I would stop by! You're children are beautiful!

Harmonia
http://harmonia.blogsome.com

6:32 AM  
Blogger Gunnella said...

Aww that is so sweet ;-) ove the grin!!

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home