Thursday, March 16, 2006

Show and Tell: Butter Dish

For show and tell this week Blackbird wants to see our butter dish. Someday I will figure out how to link Blackbirds site, sigh.

I bought a glass butter dish at a little kitchen specialty store at the local mall when Dave and I first got married. It is all glass and has a cow on the lid. I fell in love with it. I had dreams of the two of us sitting at the kitchen table every morning, with pancakes or toast in front of us with that butter dish between us sparkling in the bright sunlight that would be spilling through our yellow kitchen. I would have my hair pulled back and have an apron on and my face would be made up and my teeth would be white and shiney. Dave would have the paper in front of him catching up on sports or reading about the stock market.

Then reality checked in. We were both holding down full time jobs at that time. Dave rarely eats breakfast and leaves the house before I even get up. He is at work before the sun ever comes up and usually grabs something from the roach coach. Once the kids were born my pretty little butter dish just didn't do the job anymore. It was just too small and since it was glass I was constantly afraid it would fall and break. So one day, many years ago, I lovingly cleaned it up and packed it away. This morning I went to get it out to take a picture of it for show and tell and to take a trip down memory lane and I can't find it anywhere. I went through all the kitchen cabinets with a flashlight and that butter dish has disappeared. Now I am going nuts wracking my brain trying to figure out where it is. I have been doing spring cleaning and hauling box after bag to the Salvation Army but surely I wouldn't have given away my precious butter dish, would I?



Anyway, here is what we use now. Not very pretty but practical considering our family size and the amount of butter we seem to use. I buy one of these every month at Costco.





I don't use much butter, hardly any at all. When I do need butter I use *I Can't Believe It's Not Butter* spray. It gives me just enough flavor without all the extra calories and fat.

So, it isn't exactly what we were supposed to share but it is all I have right now. I will continue to hunt for my butter dish when I find it I will put it up. It may be weeks but I will find it!

7 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

one - there is no apologizing.
two - I love Shedd's Spread.
on egg and onion matzohs.


the spray butter could be on a 'confession' post!

9:02 AM  
Anonymous kristin said...

i'm with bb, there's no apologizing in butter dishes. i snooped a bit on your blog too, and i love the pics of your kids. ;)

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Angie said...

We like country crock too. I have that very same margerine dish. It shows up on my table along side the butter bell. LOL

9:42 AM  
Blogger Lazy cow said...

I like your fantasy description of life with the butter dish! I do that to: take an object and build a story around how perfect life would be blah, blah, but of course, reality wins out.
Email me if you want a description of how to do links.

2:43 PM  
Blogger catsteevens said...

Ha! That kinda looks like my butter dish. Mine is smaller :)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

No apologies necessary. It's nice to remember my own fantasies about the same thing! (Written as my daughters are singing improvised St. Patrick's Day songs at the tops of their lungs.)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Manic Mom said...

I use the same butter! Except if you notice, the calcium enriched has LESS FAT in it. I think it's 5 grams vs. 7... see how conscious I am now that I've been on a diet for like 6 hours!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home