Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Rainy day Tuesday and kid food stuff

It's raining today, it is supposed to rain off and on all day. A good day to hole up and make some chilli and corn bread, good 'ole comfort food. I slept better last night, about five hours of almost solid sleep. I feel more rested today.

Yesterday was a tough day. After hardly sleeping the night before, I noticed Elyse had a cold. She hasn't been sick in months, none of the kids have. She had a runny nose and just didn't feel well. She insisted on being held most the day. I hope it doesn't turn into anything worse because I don't want to make another trip to the doctors office with her.

So, come 3:30 when the big kids got home from school, they wanted a snack, I just wasn't capable of getting them one at that time. I was trying to console Elyse, help Jeff with his homework and build a lego castle with Christopher. I told Scott and Tayler to go ahead and make their own snacks, at their age they are perfectly capable of doing that. I was thinking crackers and fruit, but they went all out and made another lunch. Needless to say they weren't very hungry by dinner time. I could hear them in the kitchen laughing and having a good time so I didn't bother to check on them. Below is their creations and the pictures that they took. After watching me take pictures of our food lately to share on my blog, they wanted to be sure that I blogged their creations too, so here it is:


Tayler made this strange creation. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with cheerios on top and soy cheese on the side with lemonade to drink. Can we all say eewwwww!!!


Scott made Mr. Sandwich, pickles for eyes and a nose and some kind of veggie meat for the tongue. He had garlic bagel chips, which are really good, and spinach dip that I made with veganaise. It turned out pretty good.

Now for Christophers lunch yesterday. He too insisted that I take a picture of it. Christopher has had a bad case of exsema for a long time. He gets these large sores on his arms and legs that he scratches to death and they won't heal. I am not new to exsema, all of the kids have had it to some extend except Elyse, somehow she escaped it. The other kids have outgrown it but it still haunts Christopher. I have used prescribed medications, over the counter medications, topical, oral, lotions, creams, ointments etc. Nothing works for very long or very well, not to mention the fight he puts up when it is time to apply these things.

I was at the doctors office a couple of weeks ago with Tayler and I read an article that said that peanut butter makes exsema worse, it causes some kind of allergic reaction. Christopher has been eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch for months, could be years. He loves them and lets face it, it is an easy lunch so that is what he got. So I cut peanut butter out of his diet over a week ago, it was tough the first few days but he is adjusting well. And the big surprise is that his exsema has improved at least 85% and he doesn't scratch anymore or bleed all over his sheets (ick). Whew. But I have been having to work extra hard to find things he likes for lunch and he has been expanding his food horizons, it has really worked out well.

This is what the little kids ate for lunch yesterday. A Morning Star Farm fajita burger with a slice of veggie cheese and pickles, bagel chips, apple sauce with cinnamon and a glass of soy milk. They ate every bite and also had graham crackers. No wonder they weren't hungry at snack time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Slacker Mom said...

Yummy. I need to get those burgers for my kids. It looks great!

2:45 PM  
Blogger emotional girl said...

my daughter had extme exsema as a toddler....i took her to a naturopath and discovered she's allergic to dairy, peanuts/pistachios. her skin cleared up within a month of not having these things. for pb, i give her peabutter...it's like peanut butter, same consistency but made from peas. i live in canada though so i don't know if it's available anywhere else.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home