Friday, March 10, 2006

It really is magic! Or like I call it - a miracle

Elyse is two now, she turned two on Sunday. She is taking her two year oldism seriously. She knows it is time for the terribles and she seems to be working extra hard to make sure she gets it all in.


So, last night I was walking into the kitchen and there she was at the edge of the floor with a black sharpie. A SHARPIE, a BLACK sharpie and she was drawing lines with it on the kitchen floor. I was speechless but I did hear a tiny gasp escape from somewhere deep inside me. She heard it too. She immediately jumped up, knowing what she was doing was wrong. The first thing that must have come to her mind was to put it away and no one will notice. She ran back through the kitchen to get the lid that she had left way on the other side. My eyes followed her trail across the floor. She had made lines, a trail, the whole length of the kitchen. Her trail consisted of four or five lines next to each other and then she would move up a few inches and start over. I was furious, no I was more than furious I was speechless. I picked her up and took her to the bathroom and sat her on the stool, the time out stool (thanks supernanny). I didn't say a word, just turned around and walked out of the bathroom and shut the door behind me. Elyse started to cry, no, not cry wail. She sounded like someone was ripping her finger nails out with tweezers. She knew she had done wrong and her guilt was eating her up. At least that is what I would like to think.

I went back and surveyed the kitchen floor. It was awful. I didn't take any pics, wish I had now. I tried 409 and bleach, but that didn't even make a dent in the trail. I didn't know what to do. I hate the linoleum, I hate the whole kitchen, it is so old. Vintage is what we are calling it now, but it is still ugly. But I couldn't leave it like this, nor can we afford to replace it. If only she had used a magic marker, it would have washed off with water an soap, if only she had done this to the walls we could have painted over it. If only she hadn't done this at all. And where the heck did that sharpie come from. I keep them put up high. One of the older kids must have got it down and not put it away, why didn't they put it away?!?! If only...


Then I remembered. Not too long ago I had a coupon for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser so I picked up a box of them at the store. I dug them out from under the sink and read the directions. Just get it wet and start cleaning is the short version. I looked at the flimsy thing and thought this will never work. I got it wet and started to scrub the floor. It was WORKING! I couldn't believe my eyes. It took a while, a long while but I got it all up. It cleaned up the permanent marker off the old ugly linoleum. I really was magic, no not magic, it is a miracle.

2 Comments:

Blogger Slacker Mom said...

I love the Magic Eraser!! I always have some around, they rock!!

Glad you discovered it!!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I Absolutely LOVE those things!! L-O-V-E LOVE!! They will take anything off of ANYTHING!!

As I was reading that, before I scrolled down that's what I was thinking... I better tell her to go get a magic eraser. Ahh... good to see someone else has discovered their wonder!!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home