Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The wayward contact and Lasik

I wear contacts, I have for 15 years or so. I don't like glasses, I don't like the way they feel on my face, and maybe I am a little bit vein about having to wear glasses too.

So, last night I went to take my contacts out, and I couldn't find the one in my right eye. I knew it was in there somewhere because I could feel something in my eye, it had moved but I couldn't tell where it moved to. This has happened before with these contacts and I usually find it, but last night I couldn't find it anywhere. I got a small flash light and Dave searched all corners of my eye to no avail. They are tinted blue so it should have been easy to spot.

I was beginning to feel sick to my stomach. There was a thin layer of plastic stuck to my eye ball and I couldn't get it out. We had watched CSI a couple of weeks ago and it showed the guy that does the autopsies pull an eyeball out and then they attempted to remove fluid from it. They showed those eyeballs several times and that is all I could think about. Someday they will remove my eyeball and there will be a contact stuck to the back of it.


My eye became red, bloodshot and inflamed from all the poking around in it. I finally decided to leave it alone and maybe I could find the contact in the morning. If not I would have to go to an optometrist who could hopefully remove it. I went to sleep and kept dreaming of the wayward contact and that I was able to find it and pull it out.

About 2:30 I got up to go to the bathroom and I could still feel it in my eye. I went back to bed and lay there for a while and really concentrated on where I was feeling it at. It didn't hurt, it was just uncomfortable. I got up went to the mirror pulled my bottom lid down and sure enough, there is was. I pulled it out! Oh sweet relief! I woke Dave up to tell him and he said he was happy but it was hard to tell at 3:00 a.m.

Dave has been bugging me to get Lasik surgery on my eyes. Our insurance will pay for part of it, but I am too chicken. I can't stand the thought of my eyes being pinned back and the assaulted with a laser.

But after last night I am ready to look into it. Living with contacts the last couple of years has become difficult. They don't fit right anymore, I have tried several different kinds. I have lost them and tore them. They dry my eyes out and I don't feel as though I can see clearly with them, even though the prescription is correct.

On a happy note, I have been migrain free for two days!

On the computer front, when Dave got home he checked things out and it seems our modem had gone bad. He replaced it this morning I had no problem getting a connection and it is faster than ever.

5 Comments:

Blogger Slacker Mom said...

Oh, I feel the same way, I would love to get Lasik. But ai am chicken. The whole bird in the hand thing...

4:41 AM  
Blogger Tyra said...

I wear glasses/contacts too. I wear my glasses more because I think I look older when I wear my contacts, I have dark circles under my eyes. I usually wear my contacts more in the summer for some reason.

And I'm too scared of the Lasik surgery to even consider it.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Veronika said...

Yay for finding it! And yay for being migraine free!
I wear glasses and that's because I'm afraid of contacts. I've heard good things about Lasik - if your insurance will cover it, why not do it?

7:23 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I hear you on the chicken front. I keep thinking about Lasik but the only thing I keep coming back to is what my eye doctor told me. I can guarantee that I can fix your vision with glasses or contacts. With Lasik there is no guarantee. So... I think I'll stick with the contacts!!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous mw said...

I know you don't know me, but I found you through a comment you left on manicmom's page.

I work with about 5 or 6 people that have all had the lasik surgery. They LOVE IT!! They all had to pay for it and everyone said they would do it again. One friend went from 20/800 to 20/15. The only thing I have heard them complain about is still seeing halos while driving at night. I would at least look into it given the problems you have had with the contacts.

My husband is in the military and had PRK surgery, which is like lasik but without any cutting of the eye. I understand there can be quite a bit more pain in this type than with the lasik, but the military won't perform straight out lasik for some reason? It is the military so I think they would rather be overly cautious. I don't know if doctors even perform the PRK surgery or if Lasik is the only one that they do now.

At least it is covered by your insurance and I know plenty of people that are really happy they did it!

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home