Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The story of a 1 year old insomniac and a desperate mom

For the last five nights in a row, around 1:30 a.m., Elyse comes down the hall and climbs into bed with us. If she would just lay there silently, be still and go back to sleep it wouldn't be a big deal. But she kicks, she kicks me mostly, she never kicks Dave. She then starts singing, she sings the ABC song over and over and over. Finally I turn on the T.V. in hopes that will quiet her. But you know what, there is nothing kid oriented at 2:00 in the morning. Actually, it is quite the opposite. I had to quickly turn past Girls Gone Wild commercials several times, ick. So we finally settle on Jay Leno reruns. Elyse actually seems to enjoy the Jayster, she will lay still and watch the entire show. That gives me a chance to drift back off to sleep.

Last night I was dreaming, dreaming that I was snorkeling in Hannamma Bay in Hawaii, a favorite place of ours. In my dream something went wrong, I couldn't breath through my snorkel and I couldn't seem to stand up, there was a great weight holding me under the water. I was drowning. Suffocating. Then instincts took over, and I woke with a start. Elyse was laying across my face and I couldn't breath. Was it an accident, or was she just mad because I had dozed off and was no longer watching late night Leno with her. I turned over and was mulling that over when she started kicking me in the back of the head.

I just couldn't take it anymore. I was exhausted and tired of being abused. I got up, pulled her out of bed and put her back to her bed. She was getting out of here bed even as I was trying to get out of her room. I ran, yes, I ran back to my room and locked the door. No, I am not proud of that but I was hoping she would go back to her bed when she realized she couldn't get to mine. She stood outside my door screaming mommy where are you? Over and over.

Just as I was starting to feel quite guilty and let her in, it got quiet, hmmm, maybe my plan had worked. No, soon there was a quiet knock at my door followed by Taylers voice. Elyse had gone for reinforcements. I told Tay to just go back to bed. It was still quiet, I waited, not wanting to go out too soon for fear she might hear me. I waited 25 minutes in darkness and silence. Then I quietly, oh so quietly I unlocked the door and slowly opened it and peered out into the hallway. Laying there on the floor all covered up was Tay and Elyse. Elyse instantly stood up and darted into my room and climbed into my bed. I told Tay to go back to bed and what a good sister she is.

So, Elyse has won. I can't have her keeping Tayler up all night and I don't know what else to do. She did finally go to sleep around 5:00 a.m. I finally went back to sleep about 5:30 and my alarm went off at 6:15. Another long night.

I have to keep wondering, what causes a one year old to get up in the middle of the night and stay awake for hours on end and still not be exhausted the next day. Most importantly, how long will this go on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Slacker Mom said...

Ick. How horrible. I hate it when the younger kid drags the older one into the fray!! It's hard enough being the 'mean' parent behind the door.

(I once locked myself in the bathroom, with the kids outside. I think it's something Mom's have to do.:)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Veronika said...

Horray for locks! Mommy needs her sanity.
:)

7:38 AM  
Blogger SueeeuS said...

She looks so grown up for only 1! And she's walking? Mine is just one and he's crawling but not walking, and he sleeps next to me on a floor mattress, and he wakes up every night at midnight and 4 am. No matter what, except once when he was sick. Now that he can pull himself up, when he wakes up he does that, and whines at me until I either pick him up and snuggle him or give him a bottle and put him back to sleep. Best of luck with your little one! With all of them! Five! I can't even imagine it. You must be superwoman.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home