Monday, January 16, 2006

Space Germs

I was watching the news last night, there was a report on the return to Earth of space dust. From what I remember, years ago they sent up a space probe to collect the dust from a comet and then they brought the dust back to Earth.

That got me to thinking. I wonder what could be in there, I mean they think comets are made up of ice, will they open it up and find a glass of water? It did get pretty hot when it came through the atmosphere so maybe it all just evaporated.

Then again, they are hoping to find some kind of dust and particles. I am not naive enough to believe that we are the only beings in this big vast universe, I don't think the space center would be that naive either, would they? What if they open up that canister and release some kind of super bug space germ into the atmosphere. What if comets are really medical waste barges dumped from other universes. I just don't know if it is such a good idea to bring foreign, I mean really foreign matter back to our little blue planet.

They say that they can study this *dust* and it will help *us* understand the birth of our solar system. They spent billions on this expedition, BILLIONS! This got me to thinking again. WOW, what could I do with billions of dollars? I really don't even want billions of dollars, maybe a few million but billions, too much to think about. But what else could this money have gone for? Maybe it could have bought food for the many kids that go to bed hungry in our country, other countries. How about clothes, shelter, education, medical care, medical research, medicine etc.

What is more important, learning about the *birth* of our solar system or taking care of the people that are here, I mean, we are here, how we got here isn't that important, is it? Surviving here is important, taking care of each other is important, isn't it?

I was just thinking.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I have often wondered these things myself. Isn't there SOMETHING better they could be spending these billions of dollars on? Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can convince them of that.

8:07 PM  
Blogger irene said...

hum, it gets me thinking too.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Tyra said...

I totally agree.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home