Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sorting through the crap of our lives

What a day. It was one of those Sunday's I hate. We spent a good chunk of the day cleaning out the garage. I spent hours with two tables set up sorting through the crapola of our lives. I had stuff spread all over the driveway. See, we haven't cleaned the garage in years, years I tell ya. Once in a while I would throw things away, and I did put things in bags or boxes and mark them but we just never went through it again.

There were stacks of boxes and bags to sort through. I reduced it all down to three containers. My suburban is stuffed full of bags and items that I am going to take to the Salvation Army in the morning. There is only enough room for me to drive and Christopher and Elyse to sit.

The funny part was that cars going by would actually slow down, and look. They thought we were having a garage sale. A couple of people even stopped and rolled down their windows and asked if it was a garage sale. That's when I got a brilliant idea. I set out some of the baby items I was going to give away, like the swing, a stroller, a bouncer, a high chair and some other miscellaneous Items. I took cardboard and wrote a price on it and set it in front of each item. I made $63.00 cleaning out the garage. Not too bad for a few hours work. It also saved me from hauling all that stuff away.

I would have rather spent the day doing something with the kids, but these things have to be done too. I tried involving them in the cleaning, but they kept hauling stuff into their rooms. So I finally had to sit them in front of a DVD, ugh.

I am exhausted, but the sense of accomplishment overshadows my tiredness. Now to tackle the closets.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Isn't it AMAZING how that stuff piles up? You put it aside thinking you will deal with it later and before you know it your whole garage/closet is full!! Hey, at least you made a little money AND you got the cleaning done!!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Slacker Mom said...

Oh, I love organizing crap and getting it out of the house. It is the BEST feeling.

I so need to do my closets, but I just don't have the energy.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Tyra said...

Good idea, get paid to get rid of your stuff!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Veronika said...

What a brilliant idea! You were able to get rid of the crapola, and make some cash while you were at it!
:)

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home