Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Lonely Hermit Crab

Hermit crabs get lonely, who would have thought? The picture isn't very good, but what inhabits the pink shell is a crab named Pinky Tuscaderro, Pinky for short. She belongs to Tayler. She is huddled up againts the empty shell of her companion, and long time friend American. American died a few weeks ago. American was Jeff's crab and we were all very sad when he passed on, but none was sadder than Pinky. Pinky and American would sleep in a half coconut house together. Upon Americans passing, I left the shell in the habitat for decoration. Then I started to notice that everytime I looked into the habitat, Pinky was next to Americans shell, even when she should have been in her half coconut house sleeping the day away, as hermit crabs seem to do. So we all started to pay more attention to Pinky. I would put her in the cup holder of the stroller and take her to pick up the kids at school and she loved it. She loved the sunshine and all the attention she gets from the school kids. She became quite social. When we would come into the room she would crab walk to the side of her habitat to see us. When she hears my voice she pops out of her shell to see me. She would watch t.v. with us and watch us play games. She became one of the family. Strange? Yes.


But she was still lonely. I really didn't want anymore pets, quite frankly I was waiting for her to pass on so we could be pet free. But the look in her beaty little eyes was just so sad and sullen. So we had to get her a companion. We went to the pet store, and they had a whole mess of hermit crabs, hundreds it looked like. That's when I got the idea. What if I brought Pinky back and just quietly placed her in the tank with the other hermit crabs? No one would ever notice, and she would have all the friends she could handle. Well, the kids would not go along with that idea, and to be honest I have become quite attached to Pinky and I would have missed her. So, we bought her three companions. She seems to have bonded with one in particular, a small brown one. I find them huddled together often, in their half coconut home. She still comes to see me when I call her and she is much more content now. Pinky is lonely no more.

4 Comments:

Blogger Veronika said...

Awh, does she really come to you when she hears you calling? That's amazing!
that reminds me of the book I used to read to Brandon, "A House For Hermit Crab" By Eric Carle
:)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Tyra said...

My children have had several hermit crabs and we've never had one be so social and friendly.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Slacker Mom said...

How cute!

She is a special hermitcrab. :)

7:30 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Ok, that is the cutest story about a hermit crab I've ever heard. She is SOCIAL??? Too sweet.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home