Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Back to our regularly scheduled programs


First day of school in September.
The three older kids went back to school today after being out for slightly more that two weeks. They are all wearing new Christmas clothes, new shiny shoes and they all had hair cuts yesterday. It is almost like starting the school year over again.

I miss them. The younger kids miss them terribly. Elyse keeps wandering around the house calling their names. Christopher keeps asking if it is time to go get them yet.


Jeff is our middle child, he is seven and in the second grade. He is a wonderful child (yes, I am biased) who hardly gives us a moment of trouble. He is our art-sy child. He loves drama, he wants to perform and be an actor when he grows up. He draws and paints. He writes his own plays and acts them out for us. He also loves baseball and football and girls, god help us. He is quite the story teller and can draw us in and make us believe we are right there living it with him.

I was helping Jeff comb his hair last night after his shower and he started to tell me the saddest story. It seems that he *broke up* with his best friend a few weeks ago. Best friend was very demanding and insisted they only play what he wanted to play. Jeff didn't seem to agree and in his words at recess one day he broke up with best friend. It was all I could do not to laugh at the phrase. I was proud of him for standing up for himself. At seven that must have been very difficult for him.

The story continued on. Since the time of the said break up, he has no one to play with. He said he walks around at recess with his hands in his pockets and looks at his shoes. That broke my heart, so I called Dave in to hear the story and share my pain. I seriously wanted to cry at that point, I could just picture my poor miserable little boy stumbling around the big playground with his hands in his pockets feeling lonely. He kept telling us how the other kids were playing and having fun and oh, how he wished he could have fun too.

Jeff on the school playground last month when I was a parent volunteer. He looks like he is having fun.

We suggested several alternatives, why not ask some other kids to play. He replied that we don't allow him to talk to strangers (there are six second grade classes at his school). I did try to explain the difference between strangers and kids his age being playmates but he said he was too shy. Why not play with so and so from your class, I asked. He can't find them at recess time he replied(there are easily 300 kids on the playground at recess time). Try the swings, jungle gym or slide we begged! They are too crowded, he said with a deep sigh. We were out of ideas by that time, so we hugged him and asked him to just try some of the things we suggested, he agreed. Then I gave him ice cream and let him beat me at Uno over and over. You know, to build his confidence.

So here I sit, knowing he is at lunch recess and all I can think about is my lonely boy wandering the playground, wishing he could have fun too. I am so hoping this story isn't as sad as he makes it out to be, he can be quite dramatic. I wanted to go play with him at recess, I want to *spy* on him at recess to make sure he is okay, ya know?

My heart hurts.

3 Comments:

Blogger Slacker Mom said...

Poor baby. (You and him.)

He will find his way, and prob. be better for it.

loosely quoted,"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger." (and I have no clue who said it)

I don't know if you can find solace in that.

But ((hugs)), and let me know how the day ended up for him. :)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Veronika said...

I know what you mean about wanting to spy on him! I am totally like that! I would probably go to the kids at my sons middle school and say, "Why don't you want to play with my Blake-y Bear?"
Boy, THAT would kill him!
It's so hard to sit back and see our kids getting hurt feelings, but I'm sure it'll all work out.
(((((hugs)))) to both of you
:)

5:49 AM  
Blogger Tyra said...

Oh, my heart hurts right along with yours. Doesn't it kill you when your child is hurting and going through a tough time? But I know that your support and encouragement will help him through. Hoping things went well.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home