Tuesday, December 13, 2005

No Silent Night Here

All Shiney and Clean After a Long Night


One of the smartest things I ever did (and there aren't very many of them) was to teach the kids to call their dad if they need something in the middle of the night. It all started with Scott when he was a toddler. I would put him to bed at night and say if you get cold call for daddy, or if you have to go potty and it is still dark outside call for daddy. I have done that all down the line with all the kids.

Last night was one of those nights. It all started when I was playing with Elyse, I was holding her upside down and I noticed her top two year molars are coming in at 20 months. She has always had a hard time with teething. I thought uh-oh, those are going to give us trouble in the middle of the night soon.

Soon was last night. I could hear her calling daddy, daddy, where are you daddy about 1:00 a.m. Of course I had to kick Dave several times to get him awake but once he heard his princess calling him he went right to her. At some point he came back to bed and just as we were dozing off here comes Christopher, daddy, daddy, I have to go potty, I have to go potty NOW! So off goes Dave again, soon he is back in bed next to me snoring away. Just a few short minutes later from down the hall I hear - daddy, daddy, where are you daddy? Off goes Dave, but he is back shortly. Soon, I am not sure how long because I dozed off, I hear crying coming from our bathroom, no it wasn't Dave crying, not that I would blame him, it is Christopher. I ask him what is wrong and he says daddy is gone, sure enough Dave is back down the hall with Elyse. So that means I have to get out of bed to tend to Christopher. I get him all tucked back into bed and I had just dozed off when I hear Elyse again, I turn to kick Dave awake and he is gone, again. That's when I noticed the hall bathroom light on, Christopher was up again and in the bathroom with Dave. So that meant I had to get up again. I went to Elyse's crib and plucked her out, as I passed Dave in the hall I said, you knew it would come to this eventually. I plopped her on my pillow and we cuddled up, this is where I would like to say we went right back to sleep. It is never that easy, we laid awake listening to Dave snore for about two hours before she fell asleep. Once asleep she kicked and pushed on me until my alarm clock finally went off, the sweet relief of that alarm clock.

2 Comments:

Blogger Suse said...

That is a truly brilliant idea to teach the children to call for their father in the middle of the night.

Why did I never think of that?

3:34 AM  
Blogger Tyra said...

DH and I always had an agreement, Sunday through Thursday I got up with the kids and Friday and Saturday nights were his.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home